Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson forces FDA to explain deadly e-cig regulations
U.S. Senator Ron Johnson may be from the wide open spaces of Wisconsin, but they don’t call it The Badger State for nothing. The recent announcement of the FDA e-cig regulations has Sen. Johnson all riled up, and he is demanding that the Food and Drug Administration explain why it is so dead-set on eradicating the entire vaping industry essentially overnight.
But Johnson is no ordinary senator. In fact, he is a member of the Senate’s Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. On May 17, Johnson made his credentials very clear when he sent a rather detailed and somewhat aggressive letter addressed to Dr. Robert M. Califf, an FDA Commissioner working under the more notorious Mitch Zeller. Johnson states,
“In order to assist the Committee (on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs) in better understanding the FDA’s decision to expand its authority on e-cigarettes, I ask that you please provide the following information and materials.”
(Related Article: IS MITCH ZELLER SECRETLY WAFFLING ON THE FDA E-CIG REGULATIONS?)
The Johnson letter to Califf is not just an expression of disagreement. Johnson asks a long list of very specific questions, including the following,
- “Will the FDA issue a revised rule if there is sufficient data that finds that e-cigarettes are a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes? Please explain.”
- “How is the FDA’s regulation of e-cigarettes not a premature restriction on an industry given the FDA’s admission that it does not have “sufficient data” about e-cigarettes to determine the effects on the public’s health?”
- “Did the FDA determine how many e-cigarette businesses will be affected by the rule? If not, why?”
- “If so, please provide that data.”
- “Of the e-cigarette businesses that will be affected by the rule, how many of those businesses does the FDA predict will exit the market as a result of the new requirements?”
- “Has the FDA considered the unintended consequences if decreased access to e-cigarettes leads to increased consumption of traditional cigarette and tobacco products? Please explain.”
And this is just a short list. The entire letter is much longer and more detailed. Sen. Johnson is asking the very questions that the vaping community has been asking for the past several weeks. Does the FDA know how many American People will have their income immediately and completely wiped out by the new FDA e-cig regulations? Does the FDA even care? And is the FDA even aware that killing e-cigs only benefits Big Tobacco and not the public health of the American People?
The FDA has until May 31, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. EST to respond with the information that the Wisconsin Senator is demanding. The information must be delivered in “product sets” to both the Senate Majority and Minority Staffs.
(Related Article: FDA E-CIG REGULATIONS: USING 911 SCARE TACTICS TO KILL AMERICANS FOR PROFIT)
(Related Article: WHAT CAN YOU DO TO FIGHT THE FDA VAPING REGULATIONS?)